Saturday 20 June 2020

Lockdown, Part 28: Giving my rides stupid names

It's Thursday and it's raining. It's one of those days when it simply rains all day and occasionally when I look out I think it has stopped, but it hasn't. Closer inspection - or just looking at the birdbath - reveals that it's going to carry on all day. It's doubtful I'll get a ride in today, but I'm not overly bothered about this because, since Monday, I've been riding daily: Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday and I've made up some new routes. That said, it's now nearly 1630 and the sun's out, but I've kind of resigned myself to not going out. The problem is it'll probably REALLY rain all day tomorrow and then I'll be two days down, here's hoping that's not the case.

On Monday I rode the Ledgers Double Loop, which was basically a ride up to and beyond Knights Garden centre, turn left into Ledgers Road and then ride two loops before heading home along the 269. In total I rode 12.5 miles. The following day I did what I called the Ledgers Triple Loop, which was basically the same ride except I added an additional loop, bringing the total to just over 15 miles. And then last night I tackled the Washpond Womble, basically one loop of the Ledgers route but on the second, turning right on to Church Lane, following the road round into Beech Farm Road then taking a right hand turn on to Washpond Road and then right on to Ledgers, a left on to Church Lane and heading towards Warlingham Sainsbury's where a right turn takes me on to the 269 and home.

The Washpond Womble is a good ride...
The reason I'm naming my rides is because of Strava, it gives me that option so why not take it? The Ledgers Double Loop took me one hour and three minutes at an average speed of 12 mph and it's important to note that I rode the entire route in the rain. Fortunately, it wasn't cold, but I was soaked when I reached home, feeling elated that I stayed out there and didn't give up the ghost.

On Tuesday the Ledgers Triple Loop covered just over 15 miles and the weather was pleasant, there was sunshine and warmth and I was out on the bike for 1.18hrs. Strava is saying my speed averaged 24 mph, which I find hard to believe, although I will say that I am riding a lot faster these days so it might be right.

I mentioned in my last post that I was going to 're-calibrate' based on last week's lack of cycling. What I meant was that I would change my cycling week from the current Wednesday to Tuesday with one day off to Monday to Sunday, still keeping the day off (which I'll probably take today bearing in mind the rain). Going by the 'old week' I would have riden 54 miles in a week due to not riding for three days of last week because of the rain. Fair enough. I went from 100-mile weeks down to 83 miles, then 75 miles and last week just 54 miles. Under the new cycling week, I've covered around 43 miles so if I ride around 15 miles tomorrow my total will go to 58 miles plus, say, a Westerham (22 miles) = 80 miles and then another 15 on top, perhaps, and that's 95 miles. Fairly respectable.

On Monday we had showers, sometimes heavy; on Tuesday there was sunshine with occasional light showers and Wednesday was also pleasant and warm. Today, as I say, is changeable (it's currently sunny) but by and large it's been raining all day (so far) and they say it'll stop around 5pm, but who knows?

On Friday (yesterday) I did the Ledgers Double Loop and rode 20.23km, which is roughly 12.5 miles and it took me one hour and three minutes at an average speed of 11.6 mph. Since Monday I've covered 56.3 miles and I would have gone out this morning on a longer ride, which would have taken me to almost, or even just over, 80 miles. Why haven't I gone out? Because I'm taking the bike in to Ross Cycles in Caterham for repairs. I'll probably ride another six miles to Caterham, taking me to 62 miles. My distances have been coming down from 100 miles/week to 83 then 70 something and now a paltry 62 miles. I lost three days last week due to rain, this week I rode every week day bar Thursday and I would have put in a decent time had it not been for my bike needing new brakes and a service. And now, of course, I have no bike so next week's mileage is going to be nil. It's not good.

Here's those rides I was talking about. They're all on my Strava, he said, pretentiously. 

1. The Ledgers Triple Loop, 15.1 miles.
Ride to Ledgers Road, turn left and do two circles before heading back along B269.

2. The Ledgers Double Loop, 12.5 miles.
Same as the Ledgers Triple Loop but just two loops, not three.

3. The Beech Farm Bastard, 18.7 miles.
Riding to Ledgers Road, following country lanes around and up Beech Farm Road, turn left on B269 and ride to Botley roundabout, then onwards to the Tatsfield Bus Stop and back via Beech Farm Road.

4. The Churchyard Chuffer, 15.5 miles.
Straight ride from home to the churchyard and back.

5. The Titsey Toughie, 23 miles.
Ride to Westerham then head along A25 to Oxted, up Titsey Hill and down B269 to reach home.

6. The Tatsfield Toss Pot, 16.8 miles.
Direct ride to the Tatsfield Bus Stop going via Beech Farm Road on outward journey and back on the B269.

7. The Botley Burk, 15.2 miles.
Via Beech Farm Road on outward journey and then straight down the B269 to home.

8. The Warlingham Wobbler, 12.2 miles.
Botley Hill via Beech Farm Road but with Strava switched on at Warlingham Green. Straight run back down the B269.

9. The Washpond Womble, 16.2 miles.
On second loop of Ledgers Road turn right instead of left and head for Beech Farm Road, but take the Washpond turn on the right and do two circuits after which you turn right on to Ledgers and then left on to Church Lane and head for Warlingham Sainsbury's and the B269 to home.

10. The Norfolk Nobbler, 8 miles.
My original ride around the local streets. Twice round and up (and down) Norfolk Avenue four times, from front to back. Quite a good, albeit short ride, takes around 40 minutes.

11. The Slines Oak Slogger, 17.5 miles.
Two ways of doing this: first is to ride along the 269 heading towards Botley Hill and then turning right on Slines Oak Road, riding the length of it to Woldingham, turning left and riding past the golf course before bearing left on to The Ridge, riding towards Botley Hill, crossing the 269, riding down Clarks Lane, turning left on Beddlestead, riding up Hesiers Hill, round the country lanes, joining the Limpsfield Road at Warlingham Sainsbury's and then heading for home. Alternatively, do it in reverse.

12. The Churchyard Chump, 17 miles.
Riding direct to the Churchyard along the 269 and then Clarks Lane, but on reaching the churchyard follow the road around it and into Tatsfield Village, exiting on Approach Road, turning right at the famous Tatsfield Bus Stop, riding towards Botley Hill, heading home on the 269.


No comments:

Post a Comment