Friday 18 January 2019

In Rome...

I've never been to Rome before and here I am, sitting at a very small desk in the corner of room 510 in the Savoy Hotel, a polished establishment in the centre of the city. I didn't sleep well. I awoke around 0300hrs and then again at 0500hrs and then I slept on until being awoken by the iphone at 0730hrs. Fortunately, because I don't drink, there was no hangover and as I wasn't planning to shave I simply cleaned my teeth, threw a few handfuls of cold water over my face and headed for the breakfast room, which was in the basement.

View from room 510, Savoy Hotel, Rome...
The Savoy is a very grand hotel with marble walls and floors and rooms with sturdy wooden doors. I have a large double bed, a full minibar – clearly, the hotel trusts its guests – and all the usual stuff, such as tea and coffee making facilities, a television, storage space, a safe and a reasonable bathroom, complete with bidet and a shower that looks good, but doesn't actually work that well. Put it this way, it was no way as refreshing as the shower in my room at the Act Hotel in Tokyo, which was three months ago. Time flies.

Yesterday in Rome we had driving rain. In the UK it was clear skies and sunshine, but as the plane got closer and closer to Rome a bed of cloud appeared below us and made our descent a little bumpy. It was all a bit rushed and after dinner, the raining hammering down, I headed back to the hotel and hit the sack. Now, having enjoyed breakfast (yoghurt, cornflakes, orange segments, fruit tea, a couple of small pastries and, of course, some cooked vegetables with rice) I'm back in the room, considering another shower before heading out for a walk around the city.

Room 510, Savoy Hotel, Rome
Because it's all been so rushed (this particular trip, an annual event, always is) there's little to say about Rome. My plan is to head out and see what's happening. I'll try and see something I'm supposed to, but normally I just mooch about until I find a coffee shop. In fact, I've got to pack and check out by 1000hrs so I'd better get a move-on.

We fly back later today and have to be ready to catch a bus to the airport around 1530hrs so there's not much time. As I've said, these trips are always rushed, which is a shame on one level, but on another I just want to be home.

The flight time is roughly two hours. Fortunately, we return to Gatwick airport, which is only a short journey from where I live, so I'm hoping to be home around 2000hrs if not earlier.

Might abort Saturday's ride and take it easy, but not sure yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment