Sunday 15 March 2020

Woodmansterne Green and then over to mum's...

I was just about to leave the house when I noticed a text from Andy. He'd had a late night and had decided to abort. I sent a text back saying 'ok' and then I sat and wondered what to do? There were many options: don't bother going out, call Bon and arrange a meeting at Woodmansterne Green or ride alone to the Tatsfield Bus Stop or Westerham. All were appealing but I chose to call Bon. We met around 0815hrs and I rode the usual route through Purley and along the Foxley Lane, which has become flat land. They're building loads of apartment blocks, knocking down the big houses and making what was a very pleasant road look ugly and Croydon-like. Not good.

Bon, the Green, Sunday 15 March 2020
As I approached the Green I saw Bon riding towards me. We both continued to the Green and set up camp underneath Jean Merrington's tree. Out came the flask and the tea cups and then we wandered around chatting until about an hour later when we parted. I could have gone straight home, but thought I'd kill two birds with one stone and ride down to mum's. When I got there I had a cup of tea and a couple of slices of cake while we both watched the news about the corona virus. It's all very boring. The over-70's are going to be forced to 'self-isolate', probably next week and who knows what else will happen. I checked Croydon and according to the BBC website there's just one case. Well that's good. There's two in Sutton.

I can't help but think the whole thing is overkill. Apparently most people will experience only mild symptoms and don't forget, thousands die every year from 'normal flu'. Anyway, I'm not going to let it bother me. I'll leave all the fretting and worrying to everybody else. Who are the idiots who are panic buying? And why toilet rolls? It's not as if it's an arse-related illness. And why pasta? If people eat too much pasta they'll find themselves constipated. That toilet roll won't be needed and they'll start to wish they'd bought a pallet of Senokot too.

I rode back from mum's through Wallington, skirting Beddington Park and riding down towards Five Ways and through the council estate, on to the Brighton Road, left into Upland Road and right on to the Selsdon Road, hanging a right on Carlton, a left on Essenden and a right on to West Hill. In total I must have covered around 15 miles.
Sussex Road, South Croydon on the way home, Sunday 15 March 2020
When I got home I made another 'English' breakfast, this time fried egg, toast, mushrooms, tomatoes and onion and it was perfect. Now I'm just chilling and wondering what the week will bring. There's talk about working from home, which would suit me, I'll get more done without the distraction of work colleagues and, of course, I'll save a fortune on fares and lunches. But nothing's been said yet and if I'm honest I prefer to work in an office. I don't like it when the line between work and home life is blurred.

The bike's been behaving fine, but I think I'm going to need a new front brake pad soon. The bike needs a clean too, but that can wait a week or two.

When I wake up around 0600hrs, it's light outside, and today the weather was warm enough to dispense with the balaclava, although I like the comfort it offers. It's a bit grey outside, but there's no rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment