Tuesday 25 February 2020

In praise of Jonesy's Jukebox...

This article is all about one person: Steve Jones. For those of you who don't know about the Sex Pistols, Steve Jones was the lead guitarist. In short, the man is a legend - and not just in his own lunch time. He taught himself to play the guitar some three months before the Pistols first went on stage and, along with Paul Cook, John Lydon and Glen Matlock (my knowledge is a little sketchy here, but I'm going to assume that Matlock did play on the Never Mind the Bollocks album) went on to make history, changing the face of music forever. Hats off for that alone, guys.

On air - Steve Jones on Jonesy's Jukebox...
The reason this article is all about one person (Steve Jones) is because of Jonesy's Jukebox, a radio show that I stumbled upon whilst on You Tube. In essence, Jonesy's Jukebox is a chat show, but not like the usual stuff you get on the television. For a start, it's a radio show, but it's filmed too as it appears on You Tube. It's not like 'the usual stuff' because Jones is a musician and a legend so he knows about the music industry, he has insider knowledge and he doesn't go in for the usual chit chat rubbish offered by the likes of Jonathan Ross and Parkinson; and I think that is why he manages to attract the big names, like Slash, Brian May, Robert Plant, Iggy Pop, David Coverdale, John Carpenter, Billy Idol, Paul Cook, Alice Cooper and Todd Rundgren to name but a few. I've listed these guys off the top of my head, but there are many more (John Lydon and, I think, Pete Townshend have also been on).

Invariably, Jones kicks off most of his interviews with the phrase, "How are you doing?" Or "what you been up to?" Simple questions, but perfect. And what's more there's no boring chat based on the fact that the interviewee has a new album out or a tour. Alright, there might be a bit of it, but by and large, because Jones let's them talk and is not interested in anything sensationalist, the rock stars relax, they know that Jones is on the level, part of the whole rock thing, and they open up to him. And let me say now that it's an absolutely fantastic thing as there is clearly mutual respect between Jones and his guests.

I can't get enough of Jonesy's Jukebox and while half of my love of the programme is the guests, the main facet of the show is Jones himself, he's so down to earth, so inoffensive, a pleasant man who means no harm and is keen to share his knowledge with his guests and learn anew from them. It's great listening to the conversation, which is like eavesdropping on a pub conversation or, better still, being a part of the chat.

Jonesy's interview with Brian May was fantastic as both men clearly wanted to be there; May was chuffed to bits to be in the presence of Jones and while they did chat about the time when they shared a studio back in the day, the chat revolved around vegetarianism, veganism and whether or not there is life after death. And this is when Jonesy comes into his own because he's not the great intellectual (who is?). Well, Brian May I suppose, but my point is that Jonesy puts across the layman's view, he's not trying to be Melvyn Bragg or David Starkey, he's the man in the street.

I fully intend to read Jonesy's book because his early life was not your average upbringing, far from it. He was no angel – and readily admits, even on air, that he was famed for stealing musical instruments and equipment from bands prior to being in the Pistols – he was abused by a family member, and there's a strong hint of a life of crime had music (and being a member of the Sex Pistols) not saved him from law courts and prison cells. And I must say that I'm glad for him and saddened, I must add, when he announced on air that he had suffered from a heart attack. One person the world doesn't want to lose (not for some time, at any rate) is Steve Jones.

Jonesy lives in LA - or close by, I'm not exactly sure where - and I think he enjoys the sunshine and riding his motorcycle to work, doing the radio show. I mean, what a life! He's one of those people I'd love to meet, one of those people I'd like to chat to as we're roughly the same age (he might be a couple of years older than me, I'm now 62). I think if I was a rock star I'd want to be on Jonesy's Jukebox ahead of anybody else's show. Forget all those American chat show hosts, forget Jonathan Ross, James Corden, all of them, I'd settle for Jonesy's Jukebox and it seems as if the rock star fraternity feel the same way.

What else can I say to Jonesy other than keep fit, keep healthy and keep on keeping on with Jonesy's Jukebox, it's a great show.

No comments:

Post a Comment