Sunday 16 June 2019

To the Tatsfield churchyard on Saturday and the bus stop on the Sabbath...

The first decent bit of weather for a while yesterday (Saturday). Tee shirt weather and, for the first time, the gloves were off, no need to wear them. But as the day progressed, it clouded over. Andy and I decided to ride to the churchyard and when we arrived the weather was fine, but clouds were gathering. Soon the sun went out and we rode back in grey conditions, but it wasn't cold. We'd considered Westerham and I think we'd talked last week about visiting Flowers Farm in Godstone for tea and cake, but I've been overdoing the rubbish food, it's something that needs to stop, and I know I keep saying this, but it's true. That said - and having resolved to stop eating cake yesterday morning as I got ready to head out on the bike - I ate two teacakes in the afternoon and felt fat for the rest of the day.

Now it's Sunday morning, 0624hrs to be precise. I've been up since 0500hrs having been awake since 0430hrs. It's the light seeping through the curtains that does it. I lay there for a while, but then thought what was the point? I got up, made porridge and tea and now I sit here writing this blog.

Our bikes at the Tatsfield Churchyard, Saturday 15 June 2019

Last week Andy managed to shave 10 seconds off his time for climbing a steep hill over in his neck of the woods. The aptly named Waller Pain Hill Climb was the event in question. He managed 2 minutes and 49 seconds, not bad. I'm sure I'd have taken longer. What's interesting about the Waller Pain Hill Climb is that it's been in existence since the late 19th Century. A cycling club from Peckham used to ride out of London and into the country and when they reached Waller Hill in Caterham they had to dismount. As bicycles developed, the hill was eventually conquered and the challenge became an annual event that exists to this day. Put it this way, it might be that the hill has been conquered, but it's still hard work, otherwise it wouldn't be a challenge.

The Waller Pain Hill Climb in Caterham. Andy did it in 2:49
Sunday's early morning weather was not as good as yesterday. I decided to put my rust-coloured jacket on before heading for the green. For some reason I was feeling a little sluggish and it seemed to take ages to reach our meeting point. When I arrived we decided to head for the churchyard (the slow way) but as we progressed along Beddlestead Lane the clouds got darker and when we arrived at the junction with Clarks Lane we decided to roll down the hill towards the bus stop. We sat there drinking tea and chatting about this and that and, just before 0900hrs, the rain arrived. A passing Lycra monkey stopped. He decided to head back to his home in East Dulwich, based on the falling rain - a 35-mile circular trip, he said. We sat there, waiting for the rain to stop and it did. We had a window in which to race for home. Andy and I parted company at The Ridge and I rode along the 269. The rain didn't return and soon I was, quite literally, home and dry.

The bike needs a service, probably next week. The rear brake is dodgy, making stopping difficult. The big question is this: take it to Evans Cycles in Gatwick or Cycle King down the road? I think the latter might win.

No comments:

Post a Comment