Monday 25 June 2018

Strange dream the result of Supersonic documentary...

Vague memories of strange dreams last night. An old work colleague, the late, great, Brian Cookman, needed a bassist for his band and would I be interested? I told him I couldn't play the bass. The band in question only played six gigs a year, but even six would be a bridge too far for yours truly. Last night I'd been watching Supersonic, a documentary about Oasis, and there was a moment when Guigsy pulled out with nervous exhaustion. I'm assuming that's why I had this dream, although there was more to it and can't remember the details.

Oasis – great band...
The Oasis documentary was fantastic. I'd seen it before, but it's one of those programmes I could watch on continuous loop. I love proper bands that come up the hard way and make it big and that was Oasis. You can't beat Liam Gallagher as a front man and the songs were good too, shame they split up. My favourite Oasis track is Acquiesce, but they're all good. Avid readers will know that I've just finished reading Unknown Pleasures by Peter Hook, bassist with Joy Division and later New Order. Joy Division came up the hard way, but like Oasis they were a bunch of blokes who enjoyed a drink (or two) and were dedicated to the music.

At the end of the Supersonic documentary, Oasis is on stage at Knebworth and Noel Gallagher comments that it was pre-Internet (just) and probably the last time that the world will make a big fuss about a band. Now there's all the boring stuff: the X Factor, digital downloads, rubbish music.

Four paragraphs in and I still can't remember the rest of the dream. It'll come back during the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment